This delicious, quick and easy Vegan Mexican Pita Pizza comes together in just 15 minutes. A fun family friendly dinner for those busy week night meals!
Mexican Pita Pizza, a delicious dinner that comes together in just 15 minutes with 10 ingredients. If that isn’t a miracle in a dinner I don’t know what is!
Even those of us who love to cook don’t always have a lot of time to prepare our family dinner. Reality is we live in a fast paced world and our days are often jam packed with a million things to do and another million on the to do list. Luckily, this dinner is not only family friendly and a great activity to get the kiddos involved but it will save you precious time!
This Mexican Pita Pizza is also a very nutritious dinner. Starting with a whole grain pita, topped with black beans for protein, with a layer off sautéed veggies and finished with spinach. No need for sides with this one. It gets perfectly crispy in the oven and is pretty much an all in on dinner!
- Whole Wheat Pita – You can use white pita bread as well I like to add a little bump of nutrition by using whole wheat.
- Refined Black Beans – I like to buy low sodium if I am getting any canned beans. I also generally add something like salsa to give them a little extra flavor.
- Bell Peppers & Onion – I love red bell pepper and prefer yellow onion but whatever you have on hand will work.
- Zucchini – You could also use yellow squash or even something like mushrooms to mix things up.
- Spices – Adds a little flavor to those veggies!
- Vegetable Broth or Water – You can use either to keep this dish oil free. If you do not like cooking without oil feel free to use 1-2 tbsp. olive oil instead.
- Toppings – This dish is really customizable to what you have on hand or your preferences. I like to top mine with avocado, salsa, spinach and tomatoes. Feel free to mix it up!
Other Mexican Inspired Dishes You May Like:
Mexican Pita Pizza
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 1 15 oz. can refried black beans (about 1 ¾ cup)
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- ½ zucchini quartered
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- vegetable broth or water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut up veggies. Slice bell pepper, onion and quarter zucchini.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add your bell peppers and onions. Sauté for about 3 minutes until onion and peppers start to get tender. Depending on your pan you may need a splash of water or vegetable broth to keep your veggies from sticking.
- Add zucchini, chili powder, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and stir. Cook until all your veggies are tender but not mushy. Splash with water or vegetable broth as needed while sautéing.
- Warm refried beans in the microwave or over the stove top until warm.
- Take your pita bread and spread the beans evenly over one side of the pita.
- Spread your veggie mixture evenly on top of the beans.
- Place directly on the oven rack and bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy.
- Top with salsa, avocado, spinach and tomato or any other toppings you prefer. Toppings like cabbage, sweet potato, cilantro, lime, avocado cream etc. would be excellent!
- Cut into 4 pizza slices.
- Although dry beans cooked from scratch are better for you canned beans are a lifesaver. I generally look for low sodium or no salt added when shopping for canned products.
- The topping options on this Mexican Pita Pizza are endless. Get creative and find what excites your taste buds. In true Feenin For Greens style I went with a little extra green to keep things lively!