These healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins are fluffy and bursting with apple cinnamon flavor! They are vegan, made with whole wheat flour, oil free, refined sugar free and the perfect snack or breakfast on the go!
I love a good muffin and these Apple Cinnamon Muffins check all my muffin requirement boxes.
I mean really what more could you ask for? My favorite muffin happens to be blueberry but honestly I’ll take them any way they come.
The best part about muffins is they are so simple to make. All you really need is a bowl and a few pantry ingredients and you are good to go.
When I was a teenager my mom would buy those gigantic Costco muffins. They are more like a giant cupcake honestly but I will admit I loved them. I think that’s really when my love for muffins started.
Now days I like them a little healthier and homemade. These Apple Cinnamon Muffins most certainly fit the bill!
- Whole Wheat Flour – All-purpose would work as well if you don’t have any on hand.
- Baking Soda & Powder – Make sure they are not expired! Expired leavening agents don’t work.
- Cinnamon – A crucial ingredient to this recipe don’t skip it.
- Nutmeg – Adds that perfect spiced flavor.
- Salt – I use fine sea salt for baking.
- Flax Egg – This acts as an egg replacement. It will gel up as the flax meal and water set.
- Maple Syrup – The pure stuff not the breakfast kind.
- Applesauce – Get an unsweetened unflavored kind.
- Apple – Pick a brand you like to eat. I used Gala.
- Pecans – Optional but highly recommend. Walnuts would work great as well.
Other Recipes You May Like:
Apple Cinnamon Muffins (Healthy & Vegan)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax seed+2.5 tbsp. water)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup grated apple (about 1 apple grated)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl add your flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir together until incorporated.
- Make a well in the middle of your bowl and add your flax seed and then pour the water directly on top of the flax. Allow the water and flax to gel in the center while this is happening grate your apple.
- Peel and grate your apple and set aside.
- Now to your bowl add your maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla and almond milk. Stir together until incorporated.
- Add in your chopped pecans and grated apple and gently fold them into your batter. Make sure not to over mix your batter, only mix until incorporated.
- Grease or line a cupcake pan. Now pour 1/4 cup of your batter into each muffin tin.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once baked allow your muffins to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow the muffins to cool completely before storing.
- It is very important not to over mix your batter especially when working with whole wheat flour. Your muffins will not be as fluffy if you over mix the batter.
- You can feel free to replace the almond milk with any unsweetened plant milk if needed.
- If you do not have applesauce on hand this could be replaced with banana or some type of oil.
- You can replace the whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour if needed.