A light and refreshing Arugula Salad with sweet apple slices, crunchy walnuts and a tangy lemon vinaigrette. This salad comes together in just 15 minutes with less than 10 ingredients. It is the perfect side dish or lunch!
I love a good salad. Believe it or not, I am the type who actually craves them. I can tell you this Arugula Salad definitely fits the bill and keeps me coming back for more!
The peppery arugula paired with the sweet and crisp apples coupled with the crunchy walnuts and a tangy lemon vinaigrette is everything you could want and more.
It’s easy to make, the perfect side dish or main dish for a lighter lunch or dinner. It comes together in just 15 minutes with less than 10 ingredients. Now that is a win win to me.
I know you will love it just as much as I do!
- Arugula – I think Baby Arugula works best for this recipe although you could use regular. Arugula has a very particular taste and there isn’t really another green that is a direct comparison that I could recommend to replace it altogether. However, spinach would work for a milder taste.
- Apples – A very crisp and sweet apple works best. I prefer Gala but something like Honey Crisp or Pink Lady would work wonderfully as well.
- Walnuts – Walnuts works best for this recipe although pecans would be a great substitute.
- Lemon – Fresh is always best when it comes to citrus. This adds a brightness to the dressing.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic as you will not yield the same punch of flavor with garlic powder.
- Olive Oil – Any neutral tasting oil will work. I wouldn’t recommend using an oil with a strong flavor such as coconut.
- Maple Syrup – Use pure maple syrup not the breakfast kind. If you don’t have this on hand Agave would be a great substitute.
- Dijon – I wouldn’t recommend using any other type of mustard as Dijon has a distinct flavor that works well with dressings.
- Salt & Pepper – I use a fine Sea Salt and fresh cracked Black Pepper.
How To Make:
First, gather and prep your ingredients. Thinly slice your apple, mince or press your garlic in a garlic press and chop your walnuts.
In a small bowl make your dressing. Juice your lemon directly into the bowl, making sure to discard any seeds.
Add maple syrup, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until incorporated together.
Next, slowly drizzle in your olive oil as you stir continuously. This will thicken and emulsify your dressing.
You can also add all of your dressing ingredients to a mason jar and vigorously shake until well combined if you prefer this method.
To a large bowl add your arugula, apples and walnuts. Drizzle about a quarter of the dressing onto the salad and mix well.
Depending on how much dressing you like you may want to add more. If you do not plan to serve the arugula salad right away I recommend serving the dressing on the side.
Plate your salad and enjoy!
Tips For Sucess:
- Roll your lemon before juicing.Roll your lemon back and forth on the counter with a little bit of pressure. This helps to break down the membranes and makes juicing easier.
- Use a good oil. Using a good Olive Oil or neutral tasting oil is key to a tasty dressing. You will want to use a good quality and something you enjoy the taste of.
- Thinly slice those apples. Your salad will be tastier and easier to eat with very thinly sliced apples.
- Don’t dress your salad if you aren’t serving it immediately. If you plan to serve this at a party make sure to leave the dressing on the side. Arugula is a tender green and will wilt very easily.
Other Recipes You May Like:
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1 apple sliced
- ⅓ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Gather and prepare all of your ingredients.
- Thinly slice your apple, mince or press you garlic in a garlic press and chop your walnuts if you purchased them whole.
- In a small bowl make your dressing. Add your lemon juice, maple syrup, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until incorporated together.
- Slowly drizzle in your olive oil as you stir continuously. This will thicken and emulsify your dressing.
- You can also add all of your dressing ingredients to a mason jar and vigorously shake until well combined.
- To a large bowl add your arugula, apples and walnuts. Drizzle about a quarter of the dressing onto the salad and mix well.
- Depending on how much dressing you like you may want to add more.
- Depending on how heavily dressed you like your salad you may not use all the dressing.
- If you are serving this for a party I recommend not dressing but allowing guests to do so. Arugula is a tender green and will quickly and easily wilt.
- Vegan Parmesan cheese would be a great addition to this salad.