This healthy Banana Date Smoothie is creamy, delicious and so simple to make! It comes together with just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes.
Healthy Banana Date Smoothie. Now that sounds tasty, doesn’t it? It’s thick, creamy and decadent. The best part, it only requires three ingredients and five minutes to come together.
Dates only came into my life within the last few years. Believe it or not I had never had a one prior. Once I tried them I was honestly hooked. They have an amazing natural caramel flavor that is to die for.
If you have never had a date stop what you are doing and try one. Then make this smoothie and enjoy it’s banana caramel flavor with no added sugars or unhealthy junk.
I’m telling you this has milkshake in disguise written all over it!
- Frozen Bananas – I take ripe spotty bananas, peel them, break them in half and place them into a freezer safe bag.
- Dates – You can get dates with or without pits. They are pretty easy to remove. They are a little cheaper with pits so I buy those. I generally use Medjool dates as they are widely available and generally very soft.
- Almond Milk – Really any plant milk will work. I used an unsweetened vanilla flavored variety. I have also used an unflavored almond milk for this recipe and that worked great as well.
How To Make:
Place bananas, dates and almond milk into the blender. Start with the 1 ¼ cup of almond milk and blend.
Blend until smooth and creamy. Make sure to blend well as you do not want thick date chunks in your smoothie.
If you have any issues during the blending process add the additional ¼ cup almond milk to help the process along.
I use a Vitamix and haven’t experienced any issues however, if you do not have a high speed blender you may need a bit more liquid to get things going.
Serve in a tall glass with a fun straw if you are feeling extra fancy.
Tips For Success:
- Use soft dates. You will want to make sure to use soft dates and remove the pit. If you do not have soft dates on hand you can soak the dates in hot water prior to making this recipe. Simply add to a bowl with hot water and soak for about 10 minutes. Make sure to strain all of the water prior to adding them into the blender.
- Blend well. To ensure you do not end up with large date chunks you will want to blend this smoothie fairly well. There should still be visible date particles however not large chunks.
- Use ripe bananas. Ripe spotty bananas like you would use for banana bread will yield the best flavor and sweetness.
Soft dates blend very well. Hard dates not so much. That is why I recommend to use soft dates if possible or soak your dates. You will especially want to do so if you do not have a high speed blender. Soft dates will blend up easily in any blender even one with less wattage.
Dates have a wonderfully decadent caramel flavor. They are wrinkled on the outside, like a raisin, but very sweet and sticky on the inside. You will be shocked you are eating a fruit!
Other Recipes You May Like:
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Banana Date Smoothie
- 3 large frozen bananas
- 4 Medjool dates pitted
- 1 ¼-1 ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Place bananas, dates and almond milk into the blender. Start with the 1 ¼ cup of almond milk and blend.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Make sure to blend well as you do not want thick date chunks in your smoothie.
- If you have any issues during the blending process add the additional ¼ cup almond milk to help the process along.
- Make sure to use soft dates so they are able to blend up easily in the blender. If you do not have any soft dates on hand soak the dates in hot water for about 10 minutes prior to making the recipe. Make sure to strain all of the water before adding them to the blender.