BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches, shredded jackfruit perfectly seasoned and piled high on a fluffy soft bun. This family friendly vegan BBQ dish will become a weeknight favorite and it comes together in just 35 minutes!
These BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches are seriously delicious and will become a family favorite! They are perfect for adults and kiddos alike, even meat eaters will enjoy this tasty recipe.
One of my fondest childhood memories is eating a BBQ Beef Sandwich in the rain, under an umbrella after watching the movie “Holes”. I’m not sure what it was about that moment but I always reminisce about how much fun I had that day. Who isn’t a rain lover, isn’t the smell just amazing!
I had just had back surgery for scoliosis and was stuck at home. I was finally able to move around a bit and I remember being ecstatic that my mom let me prop up that umbrella and listen to the rain tricking down as I sat there eating my lunch.
Ahhhhh to be a kid again!
Now I no longer eat BBQ Beef Sandwiches but I can tell you these will fool even the pickiest of meat eaters! My husband loves this recipe and it is honestly hard to tell the difference from those distant childhood memories.
Bring them to your next cookout and don’t tell a soul they are vegan, I dare you. Watch as all the guests gobble them up without a clue. Vegan BBQ at its finest!
How Do I Prepare Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is an excellent meat alternative. It doesn’t have a strong flavor and can easily take on whatever seasonings and spices you are using. I generally use canned jackfruit as breaking down the raw fruit is quite a project!
If you are using canned make sure to first rinse the jackfruit in a colander and pat dry. Make sure to remove all of the seeds and the hard base, you only want the easily shreddable portion.
- Jackfruit – I use canned but you can certainly buy a whole jackfruit and break it down if you would like.
- BBQ Sauce – Use whatever brand that you prefer and love! If you are vegan just make sure to read the label as some BBQ sauce brands may contain honey or milk ingredients.
- Spices – These are very important to add an additional depth of BBQ flavor without actually BBQing anything! If you want a spicy sandwich I recommend upping the cayenne in the recipe. About 1/4 tsp. would probably do the trick!
- Fixings – I like to serve my BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with a light slather of vegan mayo and avocado slices. If you want to go oil-free just avocado slices will still be mighty delicious. If you would like to make a quick slaw that would be a great accompaniment. Also, always reach for a soft pillowy bun for a match made in BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich heaven!
What To Serve With This Recipe?
Looking for a perfect side to accompany your BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches. Try some of the recipes below!
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- 2 14-ounce cans young green jackfruit
- ¾ cup bbq sauce
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ⅛ tsp. mustard powder
- dash of cayenne
- Vegan mayo
- Buns or Rolls
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease or line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Drain, rinse and dry your jackfruit. Now shred with a fork or tear apart with your hands. Place onto your sheet pan and set aside.
- To a small bowl add all of your BBQ rub seasonings and mix until well incorporated together.
- Now sprinkle your BBQ rub mixture onto your jackfruit. Use your hands or a fork to stir everything together and make sure the jackfruit is evenly coated with your rub.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Now take the jackfruit out of the oven and pour on your BBQ sauce take a spoon and mix until all of the jackfruit is evenly coated in your sauce.
- Crank your oven up to 450 degrees and place back into the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. You do not have to wait for the oven to come up to temp just go ahead and put the pan right back into the oven. At this point you are simply trying to heat up the sauce and allow the jackfruit to get a few crispy edges.
- Pile high on your bun of choice and serve topped with extra drizzle of bbq sauce, some vegan mayo or a few avocado slices(or both).
- Make sure to remove all of the seeds from the jackfruit.
- I like to serve these on a soft bun with a little mayo or avocado and usually an extra drizzle of BBQ sauce.
- If you do not have the spices listed for the BBQ rub you can just coat in your BBQ sauce and bake as directed. I have done this before and it still is tasty however the rub adds an additional depth of flavor that is great!