Blueberry Chia Seed Jam is an easy homemade jam that is not only delicious, naturally sweetened, gluten free and vegan but requires only 6 ingredients and 15 minutes to make!
Blueberry Chia Seed Jam is the perfect quick and easy jam, that you will literally want to spread on all the things! It’s perfect on everything from a piece of toast to oatmeal.
I have always been a big fan of chia seeds. They not only pack a nutritional punch but can also make pudding now thats a win win for me! See here for Chia Seed Pudding.
Growing up I was always a jam lover, I still am to this day. I have always called it jelly to be honest. Which got me wondering is there really much of a difference between jelly and jam? I actually had to google it to find out!
Turns out jelly is smoother than jam and only uses fruit juice while jam uses crushed fruit or fruit pulp. With this new information I can tell you jam is most definitely more my jam!
Now strawberry has always been my favorite but this Blueberry Chia Seed Jam is definitely giving strawberry a run for it’s money! I mean PB & J’s were a staple in my household so I know what I’m talking about. I have tried all the flavors of jams out there.
Most store bought jams are packed with sugar, preservatives and not so great ingredients. Making what could be a healthy snack into a not so healthful option.
This recipe on the other hand only requires 6 ingredients and is naturally sweetened. The perfect healthy alternative to the traditional sugary jams!
- Chia Seeds – These are easy to find at any natural grocery store and most big grocers these days. They are high in protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and rich in antioxidants.
- Frozen Blueberries – I think frozen works best for this recipe as the blueberries are picked at their peak ripeness and provide a natural sweetness. However, if you only have fresh that will work as well.
- Pure Maple Syrup – Not the breakfast syrup you smothered on eggos as a kid. You can find pure maple syrup at most grocery stores. It will say pure maple syrup on the bottle and look thinner than breakfast syrup.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice is best and adds a great brightness in flavor!
- Spices – Don’t skip out on the dash of nutmeg or cinnamon this adds a wonderful flavor! A dash simply means a small pinch or light sprinkle.
How To Use My Jam?
How To Store?
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last between 7-14 days, if you don’t use it all up before then!
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Blueberry Chia Seed Jam
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- In a small pan over medium heat add your blueberries, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes. While simmering smash up about half of the blueberries.
- Remove from the heat add chia seeds, maple syrup and lemon juice and stir to incorporate together.
- Let the mixture cool down and gel up. It will be thick enough to use within 10 minutes however it will get even thicker as it sets longer.
- A dash simply means a light sprinkle or a pinch. Nutmeg is a pretty strong flavor so you do not want to add too much of this ingredient.
- If the jam is not sweet enough for your preference you can add another tablespoon of maple syrup.
- I like to only mash half of the blueberries and keep some whole if you want a smoother jam simply mash all of the berries.
- This is perfect served on an english muffin, toast, on PB & J or even in a big bowl of oats!