This tofu scramble is easy to make, gluten-free, packed with protein, and requires just 8 ingredients. The perfect savory plant-based vegan breakfast.
Breakfast in 10 minutes tops? I’m here for it. This Easy Tofu Scramble is my weekend go to breakfast. It’s savory, satisfying and an excellent vegan replacement for scrambled eggs. And lets be real I love an easy tofu recipe!
Growing up I was somewhat of scrambled egg fan but usually I went more for the carby breakfast choices. I did however love to make them. Every Sunday morning I would help my dad make a huge breakfast spread. It was one of the highlights of my week.
At first I was only in charge of toast. As I got older my dad let me help out a bit more. I started taking over things like pancakes and scrambled eggs.
These Sunday morning sessions were honestly where my love for cooking started. This recipe is perfect to get those kiddos involved and learning in the kitchen!
- Tofu – I like to use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe. No need to press your tofu the water will cook out while on the stovetop.
- Olive Oil – I generally use extra virgin olive oil but any neutral tasting oil will work. Vegan butter would be a great alternative as well.
- Turmeric – This is key to the yellow egg like color.
- Onion Powder & Garlic Powder – These add flavor don’t skip them!
- Nutritional Yeast – You can find this at most stores now it adds a slightly cheesy and nutty flavor. It is tasty and a staple in most vegan pantries!
- Salt & Pepper – I like freshly cracked pepper and Sea Salt but use what you have on hand.
How To Make:
In a large skillet, drizzle your olive oil and swirl it around your pan. Let your oil heat up over medium high heat.
While your oil is heating, break up your tofu with a fork or with your hands. You will want to mash it until there are no large chunks but not into mush.
Once the oil is hot add the tofu to the skillet.
Season evenly with turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
Stir until spices are combined and your tofu is heated all the way through. About 3-5 minutes.
How to Serve?
This is perfectly delicious simply served with toast and avocado. If you want to spice things up there are so many options.
- Burrito Style – I love adding tons of fresh veggies, diced potatoes and serving this burrito style with salsa and avocado.
- Potato Hash – This is also great in a potato hash. I tend to load mine with veggies and add the already made scramble at the end. You will want to cook the potatoes separately as they will not stay crispy if you do not do so.
- Breakfast Side – Serve it as you would any breakfast side. Still make the pancakes, hash browns and serve it on the side. Perfection!
As a former scrambled egg eater I would say tofu scramble doesn’t taste exactly like eggs. However, if you want to give this recipe that eggy flavor you can add 1/4 tsp. Black Salt (AKA Kala Namak). Be warned Black Salt smells like boiled eggs and does have a strong aroma. I personally love my scramble with or without Black Salt.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Recipes To Go With Your Easy Tofu Scramble:
- Oatmeal Blender Pancakes
- Healthy Vegan French Toast
- Vegan Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup
- Vegetable Potato Hash
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Easy Tofu Scramble
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- In a large skillet, drizzle your olive oil and swirl it around your pan. Let your oil heat up over medium high heat.
- While your oil is heating, break up your tofu with a fork or with your hands.
- Once the oil is hot add the tofu to the skillet.
- Season evenly with turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Stir until spices are combined and your tofu is heated all the way through. About 3-5 minutes.
- The possibilities are truly endless with a tofu scramble. My favorite way to enjoy this tasty dish is burrito style. I fill my tortilla with tofu scramble, potatoes, sautéed veggies, avocado and salsa. This makes for an oh so tasty, easy and quick breakfast burrito.