This Easy Tomato Basil Quinoa is the perfect healthy side dish to bring to every summer BBQ! Packed with fresh flavors and easy to make with just 7 ingredients.
Tomato and Basil is such a classic combo. I am a lover of anything with this pair. Easy Tomato Basil Quinoa is no exception and such a great side dish. It is nutritious, made with 7 ingredients in just 20 minutes. I love the bright flavor the basil and tomatoes add to this dish!
I am always looking for ways to add nutrient dense foods into my diet. Quinoa is one of those super foods that I love. It is a great rice replacement and one powerful gluten-free grain. It’s packed with protein and fiber as well as essential amino acids.
My son loves Quinoa and it is even picky eater approved, well my picky eater wants it plain of course. It’s a win to me though. When you have a very picky eater you take what you can get!
Serve this along side your next dinner and watch as the family guzzles it up! Even bring it to your next BBQ for a lighter dish. It’s the perfect easy side dish!
- Quinoa – White Quinoa is my personal favorite and works best for this recipe.
- Water & Vegetable Broth – I think a combination of these two works best flavor wise. If you don’t have vegetable broth you can use all water instead but it will likely need a touch of sea salt.
- Garlic – Use fresh and mince it or use a garlic press.
- Tomatoes – You could use grape or cherry tomatoes. I like to look for the deepest red color as those have the most flavor.
- Basil – Use fresh basil simply roll it and cut it into fine strips.
- Lemon – Use fresh lemon juice it adds a nice brightness to this dish.
Other Side Dish Recipes:
Easy Tomato Basil Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cups grape tomatoes halved
- ½ cup chiffonade basil
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Mince your garlic, chiffonade your basil and slice your tomatoes in half. Set all ingredients aside separately.
- In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat sauté your garlic in a splash of your vegetable broth until soft and fragrant.
- Add your quinoa, water and the rest of your vegetable broth and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook quinoa for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take quinoa off the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl mix your quinoa, tomatoes, basil and lemon juice until incorporated.
- You can either serve immediately warm or cool for a great summer side dish.
- This is delicious served warm or cold. If you are planning on a cold salad I would allow this to cool for at least an hour.
- Quinoa is a very versatile ingredient feel free to get creative and add your favorite ingredients. Things like chickpeas, olives and cucumbers would be a great addition!