This Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake is super decedent, rich, gooey and moist. The perfect simple recipe when you need a chocolate fix. It also happens to be vegan and oil-free!
This Gooey Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake is:
Dessert for one is always a blessing in my eyes. Am I the only one who craves sweets each and every day? The thing is you may not always want a giant cake sitting around for days on end tempting you.
Maybe you have some fitness or health goals in mind and chocolate cake just isn’t on the menu for an everyday cheat. That is one reason mug cakes are perfect!
Not only are they super quick and easy to make but they are a single serving. I mean two servings if you are feeling nice. This mug cake only requires 5 minutes and less than 10 ingredients.
- Flour – All-purpose works best for this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder – This gives you that classic chocolate flavor!
- Sugar – Regular sugar works best but you could use coconut sugar to make this refined sugar free.
- Baking Powder – Check to make sure your leavening agent isn’t expired.
- Salt – Just a tiny pinch, I use fine sea salt.
- Almond Milk – Any plant milk will work just use an unflavored unsweetened variety.
- Vanilla Extract – I love good vanilla it’s definitely worth spending a bit more for quality.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips – Whatever brand you like works, I used Enjoy Life.
Other Dessert Recipes:
Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake (Vegan + Oil-Free)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- small pinch of salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. vegan chocolate chips
- Into your mug add your flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix together until well incorporated.
- Now add your almond milk, applesauce and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add half of your chocolate chips and mix them into your batter.
- Sprinkle the other half on top of the batter.
- Microwave for 60-80 seconds. It will depend on your microwave but you want the cake to look underdone. I microwaved mine for exactly 70 seconds. It should look a little raw on top and some of the chocolate will be melted but the edges should have a more cake like texture.
- Leave it in the microwave to set for 5 minutes. This helps the cake to set up and continue to cook while staying fluffy and moist. Do not skip this step.
- Top with whip cream or powdered sugar if desired.
- You can replace the sugar with coconut sugar if desired. I tested it with coconut sugar and it worked well.
- The applesauce can be replaced with oil or melted butter if needed.
- Make sure you do not overcook your cake. It will still look a bit raw and will set up once you let it set in the microwave.