Healthy French Toast made with 6 simple ingredients that is vegan and refined sugar free! This vegan twist on a comfort classic is easy to make and much healthier than the traditional recipe.
Healthy French Toast? I’m in. This breakfast classic is one of my all time favorites! So of course I had to veganize it. This vegan french toast is crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, without being soggy. Perfection!
We didn’t have french toast often when I was a kid, we were more of a Bisquick family. When we did have it I remember it being such a special treat! I also found it super fun to make.
This recipe has all that classic flavor without the eggs. Bursting with cinnamon, vanilla and a hint of maple syrup sweetness. It is truly delectable.
The best part, it comes together with just 6 ingredients in less than 30 minutes!
- Bread – A sturdy sliced bread works best. I used Sourdough. Soft sandwich style bread will not work for this recipe.
- Flax Meal – This is simply ground flax seeds. You can find flax meal in most stores now days. It is generally in the natural foods section.
- Vanilla – I generally use a pure vanilla extract for all of my recipes.
- Cinnamon– This brings that classic french toast flavor. Don’t skimp on this one.
- Almond Milk – Any plant milk will do just make sure to use an unflavored and unsweetened option.
- Maple Syrup – Pure maple syrup is what you will want to use not the breakfast kind. This adds a bit of sweetness to the recipe. You could also use another sweetener of choice such as coconut sugar.
Yes! It is actually fairly easy to make vegan, egg free and dairy free french toast. The secret ingredient in this recipe is Flax Meal. When combined with the almond milk is helps to thicken the batter and coat the bread. Add a little cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup and you’ve got those classic flavors we all know and love!
How to Make:
In a small shallow bowl add almond milk, flax meal, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon and stir until incorporated. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and grease with your preferred method. I used a nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
Once your pan is hot take your bread and drench it into the batter on both sides. Make sure not to drench the bread for too long, about 5-10 seconds on each side will do.
Place the bread onto the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
It is important not to have your pan too hot as the french toast will not cook properly and will burn. Low to medium heat is best for this recipe.
Serve immediately with your choice of toppings. I like mine with fresh fruit and warm maple syrup.
Tips For Success:
- Don’t use high heat. Low to medium heat works best for this recipe. If the pan is too hot the french toast will burn around the edges and still be soggy in the middle. Make sure to use low heat and allow the french toast to get completely golden brown on one side before flipping.
- Use sturdy bread. Use a thick sturdy bread that can hold up to the french toast batter. Sandwich bread is too soft for this recipe. I used a sourdough bread and it worked well.
- Don’t soak the bread for too long. About 5-10 seconds on each side is long enough to drench the bread in the batter. Any longer than this will create soggy french toast.
It is best to use a sturdy stale bread. I used a sourdough bread and it worked perfectly. In my opinion french toast with sourdough bread is the best! You could also use ciabatta, french bread or even a baguette. I prefer to use a thick cut bread however, thin will work as well.
French Toast is best served fresh immediately after cooking. However, it will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to cool completely before storing.
Other Great Breakfast Recipes:
- Vegan Banana Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup
- Maple Glazed Baked Vegan Donuts
- Easy Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Healthy French Toast
- 5-6 large thick slices of bread
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp. flax meal
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- In a small shallow bowl add almond milk, flax meal, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon and stir until incorporated. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and grease with your preferred method. I used a nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
- Once your pan is hot take your bread and drench it into the batter on both sides. Place the bread onto the skillet and cook until golden brown about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- It is important not to have your pan too hot as the french toast will not cook properly and will burn. Low to medium heat is best for this recipe.
- Serve immediately with your choice of toppings. I like mine with fresh fruit and warm maple syrup.
- A thick sturdy bread works best for french toast. I used Sourdough. Sandwich bread is too soft and will result in soggy French Toast.
- It is important not to use high heat with this recipe. It will quickly burn, low to medium heat works best.