Healthy Vegan French Toast is made with 6 simple ingredients, vegan and refined sugar free! This plant-based twist on a comfort classic is easy to make and much healthier than the traditional recipe.
Healthy, Vegan, French Toast? I’m in. This breakfast classic is one of my all time favorites! So of course I had to veganize it. This french toast is crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, without being soggy. Perfection!
We didn’t have french toast often when I was a kid we were more of a Bisquick family. When we did have it I remember it being such a special treat! I also found it super fun to make.
To be honest I hadn’t had much success with vegan french toast before testing this recipe. I had tried and failed a few times before I really buckled down and decided to actually get to testing.
The good news is I got all the fails out of the way for you to have this perfectly perfect french toast recipe!
The trick to this recipe is the flax egg coating and a hot pan. The flax coats the bread just like an egg would to create that classic french toast crunchy outside.
- Bread – I like a good thick slice of bread however any bread will do.
- Flax Eggs – A flax egg is 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds to 2.5 tbsp. water. You allow it to set up for 5 minutes and it creates an eggy texture. You’ll need two for this recipe.
- Vanilla – Buy a good vanilla it is so worth it especially in this recipe!
- Cinnamon– This brings that classic french toast flavor.
- Almond milk – Any plant milk will do just make sure to use unflavored and unsweetened.
Other Great Breakfast Recipes:
Healthy Vegan French Toast
- 5-6 large thick slices of bread
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. ground flax seed + 5 tbsp. water)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ scant cup almond milk (scant means just under)
- In a small shallow bowl make your flax egg by mixing your ground flax seed and water together. Allow your flax egg to gel by letting it sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and grease with your preferred greasing method. I used a nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
- To the flax egg add vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon and almond milk and stir until incorporated.
- Once your pan is hot take your bread and drench it into the flax egg mixture on both sides. Place the bread onto the skillet and cook until golden brown about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with your choice of powdered sugar and fruit or syrup or both.
- You can also use regular sliced bread but I do prefer the thick french toast style bread.
- If you want to use another sweetener in place of the maple syrup feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- French Toast is best served immediately and doesn't reheat well in the microwave.