These Homemade Twix bars are a healthier twist on the classic candy bar and dare I say better tasting! With a buttery shortbread crust, coconut cream and date caramel and chocolate layer to seal the deal, these are sure to be a hit amongst vegans and non vegans alike!
Homemade Twix Bars are a delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional Twix. They feature a buttery shortbread crust with a decadent coconut and date cream caramel with layer of chocolate to finish them off. They are truly divine.
Can I tell you a secret? I am not the biggest fan of chocolate. In fact when I was younger I didn’t even like it at all. I was always annoyed that all the candy bars had chocolate on them. Where was the white chocolate at when I was a kid!
It wasn’t until after having my son that I started to enjoy it in certain desserts. This happens to be one of them. And let me tell you I thoroughly enjoy these Homemade Twix Bars.
Not only are they easy to make but they only require 7 ingredients! They also happen to be husband and picky eater approved. These are truly one of my all time favorite desserts!
- Dates – I generally buy unpitted Medjool Dates as they are cheaper and the pits are very easy to remove.
- Coconut Cream – You will just want the top thick layer of the coconut cream.
- Flour – Regular all-purpose works best for this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar – There isn’t a great substitute to make these refined sugar free that I know of.
- Vegan Butter – You could use coconut oil if you would like. I used Country Crock’s plant-based butter.
- Salt – Just a tiny pinch of fine sea salt.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips – Whatever brand you prefer will work. I used Enjoy Life.
Other Dessert Recipes:
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- The Best Vegan Banana Bread
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Homemade Twix Bars
- 1 cup of pitted dates packed
- 1 can of coconut cream (just the top thick layer about 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick of softened vegan butter (1/2 cup)
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl mix you flour, powdered sugar and salt.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork. Mix until all the butter is incorporated.
- Grease or line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Press the crust mixture into the pan and bake for 10-13 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Allow the crust to completely cool before adding your filling mixture.
- While your crust is baking add your pitted dates to the food processor. Open your can of coconut cream and with a spoon scoop out the top thick layer and add into your food processor. Processor until creamy and you can no longer detect date chunks.
- Once the crust is cooled spread your coconut and date mixture onto the crust in an even layer.
- Take your chocolate and put it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring after each 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Evenly spread your chocolate layer onto the coconut and date caramel mixture.
- Place into the fridge until the chocolate has set. I have found this takes about 20-30 minutes. It is definitely hard waiting for this part!
- Once your chocolate has set cut the bars into three rows horizontally and three rows vertically this will give you 9 bars. You can expect the chocolate to crack and trust me it adds to the deliciousness.
- Depending on your can of coconut cream the top layer may not have settled at the top. If this happens just stir the can thoroughly and measure out 2/3 cup coconut cream.
- These can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer. When ready to eat place them at room temperature to thaw.
- If you do not want to use vegan butter you could also use coconut oil for the shortbread crust.
- Total time does not include cooling time for the bars to set.