Banana Orange Smoothie, a healthy creamsicle in a glass! This easy smoothie recipe is made with just 4 simple ingredients in 5 minutes.
Banana Orange Smoothie, a tasty creamsicle in a glass. Now that sounds like something I can get behind. It’s healthy, creamy, thick and oh so tasty! You will be reminiscing about those childhood summer days in no time.
I have and always will be a creamsicle fan. I have yet to find a vegan alternative that taste just like the classic (If you know of one let me know). This smoothie however gives me all the creamsicle feels.
Need I say more?
- Frozen Bananas – I take ripe spotty bananas peel them, break them in half and place them in a freezer safe bag for smoothies.
- Orange – Cara Cara is my favorite and gives the best flavor in my opinion. However, any sweet orange such as the common Navel Orange will work.
- Orange Juice – Fresh squeezed works best for this recipe however, if you can only used bottled that will work as well. The brand Simply Orange has a great orange juice that taste fairly similar to the fresh squeezed stuff.
- Vanilla Almond Milk – Any vanilla flavored plant milk will do. I buy an unsweetened version. If you don’t have vanilla flavored on hand add 1 tsp. of vanilla extract to the blender before blending.
How To Make:
Place bananas, orange, almond milk and orange juice in your blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy. If you do not have a high speed blender you may need to add a splash more OJ or Almond Milk.
I use a Vitamix and this blended up just fine.
Serve in a glass with an extra orange slice and a fun straw if you are feeling fancy.
Tips For Success:
- Use ripe bananas. Ripe spotty bananas like you would use for banana bread will add the most flavor and sweetness.
- Fresh Orange Juice makes all the difference. I’ve made this with both bottled and fresh orange juice and man do I love the fresh version. It adds more of a brightness to this recipe. It will of course still be tasty with bottle OJ but if you can swing it freshly squeezed is the way to go.
- Use sweet oranges and peel your orange well. Make sure to use a sweet variety of oranges. I love Cara Cara Oranges although they are only in season December-April. Navel Oranges will work as well, they are the most common orange and generally sweet. You will also want to make sure to peel your orange very well. You do not want to add the peel or too much of the white pith around the orange. As this will create a slight bitter taste.
Yes, absolutely! Bananas are a great base for any smoothie. They create a thick creamy texture as well as add a nice sweetness without any added sugars. I do highly recommend using ripe spotty bananas however to get the optimal flavor and sweetness. Unripe bananas will still give you a thick and creamy texture but not that natural sweetness.
Other Smoothie Recipes:
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Banana Orange Smoothie
- 3 large frozen bananas
- 1 peeled orange
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- Place bananas, orange, almond milk and orange juice in your blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- If you don’t have vanilla flavored plant milk you can add in 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.