These Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos are hearty, healthy, easy to make and done in 30 minutes. The perfect simple and tasty plant-based and gluten-free lunch or dinner.
Oh Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos we have known each other for years upon years and I love you. This recipe is family friendly, unique, tasty and will get the whole family excited for Taco Tuesday!
When I first went vegan this was one of the first recipes that I experimented with and loved the results. I wanted to find a way to eat more sweet potatoes.
I knew they were packed with nutrients but I had never really had them in any other form other than sweet potato casserole. Which I was never much of a fan of.
However, once I realized how tasty they were in taco form I started making this recipe each and every week. Now I am a huge sweet potato fan. Let me tell you I am hooked!
- Sweet Potatoes – I like the Red Garnet sweet potatoes for this recipe.
- Poblano Pepper – This pepper adds a great mild spice. It is easy to find at most stores but sometimes labeled incorrectly as a Pasilla Pepper.
- Olive Oil – If you wanted to make these oil free you can simply use parchment paper and no oil.
- Ground Coriander – This is a super unique flavor that goes well with the sweet potato.
- Spices – The onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper add a nice savory flavor to the sweet potato. Make sure to use all the spices listed!
- Guacamole – This is optional but highly recommended!
- Fixings – Serve with whatever taco fixings you like best. These are great on flour or corn tortillas.
Other Dinner Ideas:
Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos
- 2 large sweet potatoes diced into cubes
- 1 large poblano pepper sliced
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ a lime juiced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 clove garlic minced (or ½ tsp. garlic powder)
- salt to taste
- diced tomatoes
- fresh lime
- corn or flour tortillas
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Wash sweet potatoes very well and dice into small bite size cubes.
- Slice poblano pepper into long strips.
- Place sweet potatoes and poblano onto a large sheet pan and toss in olive oil.
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder and coriander. Toss again.
- Place into the oven to roast, bake until tender and golden brown about 25 minutes, tossing half way through.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting make guacamole if you choose to.
- In a medium sized bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and mash.
- Add lime juice, cilantro, garlic, tomato, onion and incorporate together.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Warm corn tortillas on stove top in a small skillet. Heat about 30 seconds each side.
- Assemble tacos: corn tortillas, top with roasted sweet potato/poblano mix, guac, spinach or lettuce and your favorite salsa!
- These also taste great topped with sliced or smashed avocado instead of guacamole.
- If you do not have the poblano pepper you can leave that out and the dish will still be tasty.