Shredded Jackfruit Tacos are the perfect substitute for traditional chicken tacos. Perfectly seasoned and done in less than 30 minutes, Taco Tuesday just got a major upgrade!
Shredded Jackfruit Tacos are a winner in my house! No joke, you know a dinner is good when it’s husband and picky eater approved. Granted my picky eater wanted her tacos fried but hey I’ll take my small victory!
You would honestly never guess these tacos are made with a fruit. Vegan, healthy and done in less than 30 minutes, I’ll take tacos every night for dinner please and thank you.
How To Prepare Jackfruit:
Jackfruit is an excellent meat alternative. It doesn’t have a strong flavor and can easily take on whatever seasonings and spices you are using. I generally use canned jackfruit as breaking down the raw fruit is quite a project!
If you are using canned make sure to first rinse the jackfruit in a colander and pat dry. Make sure to remove all of the seeds and the hard base, you only want the easily shreddable portion.
- Jackfruit – I use canned but you can certainly buy a whole jackfruit and break it down if you prepare to do so.
- Onions – I think yellow onion works best for this recipe.
- Garlic – I always use fresh garlic and either finely mince or use my garlic press.
- Spices – I always go for individual spices over spice packets like taco seasoning. They generally contain lots of other ingredients and sodium.
- Tomato Paste – If you don’t use this often get the kind that comes in the tube as it lasts longer in the fridge.
- Fixings – Feel free to mix it up and add whatever taco toppings you love. These are also great on flour tortillas as well!
Looking For A Taco Side Dish?
Give my Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice a try. It’s made with less than 10 ingredient in 20 minute. Definitely a winner side dish!
Shredded Jackfruit Tacos
- 2 14-oz cans young green jackfruit (drained and rinsed)
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- corn or flour tortillas
- onion diced
- tomato diced
- lime slices
- Drain and rinse your jackfruit. Shred with your hands removing any seed and set aside.
- Dice your onion and mince your garlic. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add your olive oil.
- Once hot add your garlic and onion and cook until soft and fragrant for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add your jackfruit and stir to incorporate together with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper and stir until well incorporated.
- Now add your tomato paste and water and stir, allow to jackfruit to simmer for 10 minutes stirring frequently. You can add additional water if needed. You will want the mixture to be slightly wet not dry. At this point you are just allowing the jackfruit to absorb all the flavor. If you are crunched for time you can serve as soon as you incorporate the ingredients together.
- Serve on a warm tortilla with desired toppings. I like to serve mine with onion, tomato, cilantro, guacamole, salsa and a squeeze of fresh lime. Spinach or lettuce is also a usual and excellent addition.
- If you don't have guacamole or do not wish to make any from scratch avocado slices would also be great. You can find my simple guacamole recipe here if you wish to make some.
- Make sure to rinse off your jackfruit as it is stored in a brine.