This Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili is the best vegan chili! Bursting with flavor, hearty and so simple to make. It’s the perfect easy weeknight meal the entire family will love. You are going to want to make this one on repeat!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili…Need I say more? This hearty, flavorful and easy to make dinner will be a hit amongst the entire family.
I love a good chili. I have always been a fan. Paired with cornbread is my favorite way to enjoy this childhood classic.
This vegan chili is made easy in a slow cooker with just a few ingredients to dice. You can dump and go, letting dinner cook itself. Sweet potato and black beans make this dish extra special as they are a match made in heaven.
Perfectly spiced with those classic chili flavors you are definitely gonna eat this up!
- Sweet Potato – I like Garnet best for this recipe. They have a slightly sweet flavor that works well to balance your spice.
- Kidney & Black Beans – I always look for no salt added or low sodium canned good. You can use whatever bean combination you prefer as well. I have used many variations.
- Diced Tomatoes – Look for a low sodium option if you can find it and I like petite diced best. Crushed tomatoes would also work well.
- Garlic – I always try to use fresh garlic when I can but you could also use 1 tsp. garlic powder instead.
- Onion – I think yellow onion works best but use what you have on hand.
- Bell Pepper – I used red but you can use whatever color you like best. When buying bell peppers look for the deepest colored. It will have the most flavor.
- Tomato Paste – This adds a richness to your chili. I buy it in the tub as it lasts longer and is great to have on hand.
- Vegetable Broth – Look for a low sodium variety when possible. This will help you control the salt in your chili.
- Spices – These are classic chili spices. You can control the heat level with the cayenne and chili powder.
How To Make:
First prep your vegetables. Dice your onion, mince your garlic and dice your bell pepper. Now wash your sweet potatoes, peel and dice them into bite sized pieces.
Next, rinse your beans if you are using canned as this helps to aide in digestion. Add all of your ingredients to your slow cooker including your spices and stir until well incorporated together.
Place your lid on your slow cooker and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low. You are really just looking to marry the flavors and cook your sweet potatoes until tender.
You can stir every now and then if you would like but you do not absolutely have to do so.
Serve topped with avocado, green onion, vegan sour cream, a squeeze of lime and cornbread for the ultimate chili experience.
Variations To Make It Your Own:
- Spice it up. This is a fairly mild chili. It has a little kick to it but nothing major by any means. If you like spice you could add jalapeño, habanero or even chipotle would bring a nice flavor to this.
- Get those veggies in. There is a plethora of veggies you could add to this chili to make it even healthier and tastier. I love things like carrots, squash, zucchini, and even spinach.
- Beans, beans and more beans. Really any bean combination will work. I have used things like great northern or even chickpeas. You could use all of one variation of beans or mix things up and add a few.
- Toppings make it perfect. I highly recommend topping your chili with avocado, green onions, vegan sour cream and a squeeze of lime. Other options that are great would be cilantro, cashew cream, vegan cheese, tortilla or corn chips. You could also serve your chili on a bed of quinoa or rice.
Can I Freeze My Chili?
Absolutely! Chili freezes wonderfully. I like to make large batches and freeze it for a super easy dinner.
Simply freeze in an airtight container or freezer safe bag. You can then thaw overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Other Recipes You May Like:
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili (Vegan & Oil-Free)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans (rinsed)
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium or 1 large sweet potato (washed, peeled and diced)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1-1 ½ tbsp. chili powder*
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne*
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- green onion
- vegan sour cream
- cornbread or tortilla chips
- First prep your vegetables. Dice your onion, mince your garlic and dice your bell pepper.
- Now wash your sweet potatoes, peel and dice them into bite sized pieces.
- Next, rinse your beans if you are using canned as this helps to aide in digestion.
- Add all of your veggies (onion, garlic, bell pepper and sweet potatoes) and your beans to your slow cooker.
- Now add your diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and tomato paste and stir to incorporate together.
- Next add your spices: chili powder, cayenne, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Stir until everything is well incorporated together.
- Place your lid on your slow cooker and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low. You are really just looking to marry the flavors and cook your sweet potatoes until tender.
- Serve topped with avocado, green onion, vegan sour cream, a squeeze of lime and cornbread for the ultimate chili experience.
- Depending on how spicy you like your chili will depend on how much chili powder you will want to use. I tend not to like too much spice and I was fine with the full 1.5 tbsp. of chili powder.
- If you do not like spice at all I would exclude the cayenne altogether as this does give the chili a slight kick.
- Keep in mind that I am using sea salt for this recipe which is less potent than iodized salt. You may want to use a little less and salt to taste if you need to use iodized.