Vegan Chicken Salad is a quick meal that is not only tasty but easy to make. Perfect for lunch or a simple dinner. It requires just 10 ingredients and 10 minutes to make!
Vegan Chicken Salad is the perfect combination of savory and sweet. A Quick lunch or dinner that is filling and delicious.
The first time I had Chicken Salad that I actually liked was way back in Culinary School. I remember thinking it was strange that we would be putting fruit with something like chicken but loved the results.
I wanted to create a similar recipe from what I remembered but veganize it of course. Chickpeas turned out to be a great meat substitute. I took note from my Vegan Chickpea Salad recipe, which I also love and adore.
If you need a quick tasty meal and have 10 minutes get to cooking!
- Chickpeas – I generally look for a low sodium or no salt added variety.
- Vegan Mayo – You could substitute this with mashed avocado for an oil-free option.
- Dijon Mustard – Any brand will do but Dijon works best vs. yellow mustard.
- Dill – Fresh dill is one of the key ingredients. It adds a great herby flavor.
- Green Onions – This is a mild onion and works best however you could also use a sweet onion.
- Celery – I am not the biggest celery fan and even I enjoy the celery in this dish. It adds a nice crunch.
- Grapes – I think red are best for this recipe.
- Almonds – If you don’t have sliced almonds you could chop some up just make sure to chop them fairly small.
- Lemon – This adds a great freshness.
- Salt & Pepper – I use Sea Salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Fixings – I like to serve mine with spinach and tomato. Use whatever you have on hand.
Other Quick & Easy Recipes:
Vegan Chicken Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp. vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill chopped
- ¼ cup green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup celery diced
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- squeeze of fresh lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced tomatoes
- spinach or lettuce
- Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas and add them to a medium sized bowl.
- Get your ingredients ready. Dice your celery, half your grapes, thinly slice your onions and chop your dill.
- With a fork or potato masher mash your chickpeas. Now to the chickpeas add your mayo, mustard and dill and incorporate together.
- Now add your celery, grapes, almonds and fold them into the chickpea mixture.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top your bread with a heaping scoop of 'chicken' salad and top with tomatoes and spinach or lettuce.
- If you would like to make this oil free you can add smashed avocado instead of the vegan mayo.
- I have added craisins or dried cherries to this dish before and it is so tasty! I would add about a 1/4 cup chopped or so if you want to make this addition.
- This is also great wrapped in a tortilla or served on a bun. If you can find a vegan croissant now that would be magic for this dish!
- I state to rinse the chickpeas as I have heard that this helps with digestion when working with canned beans and legumes. I have a very sensitive stomach and do see a difference when I take the time to do this step.