This easy Vegan Chickpea Salad is perfect for sandwiches and comes together with less than 10 ingredients in 5 minutes. A quick go to lunch!
I love a good vegan chickpea salad sandwich. For one it requires minimal ingredients and is not only easy but quick to make. It also happens to be a very budget friendly dish!
It’s all the flavors of tuna salad sans the tuna and the fishy taste. Which is most definitely a win win in my book!
This recipe is tasty, easy to make and healthy. It makes for the perfect lunch or easy dinner.
Got 5 minutes to spare? Get to it!
- Chickpeas – When using canned chickpeas I generally look for low sodium or no salt added options.
- Vegan Mayo – You could substitute this with mashed avocado for an oil-free option. Otherwise any brand will work.
- Dijon Mustard – You could use yellow if you don’t have Dijon but I prefer the flavor of Dijon.
- Pickles – If you like relish you could also add relish instead of pickles. Whatever brand and type you prefer will work.
- Sunflower Seeds – They add a nice crunchiness.
- Lemon – This adds a brightness in flavor that I love!
- Fixings – I like to serve mine on a seedy bread with lettuce, tomato and red onion.
How To Make:
To get started if you are using canned chickpeas rinse and drain them.
Place them into a medium sized bowl and use a fork or potato masher to mash the chickpeas.
You will want to mash them fairly well but I like to leave the mixture a little bit chunky.
Now add the rest of your ingredients and incorporate together. It really is that easy!
If serving as a sandwich scoop a heaping serving onto your bread and serve topped with all your favorite fixings.
How To Use:
- Sandwiches – Definitely my favorite was to enjoy chickpea salad is as a tasty sandwich. Top with lettuce, tomato, onion and even avocado would be divine. This would also be great in pita bread or wrapped in a tortilla.
- Salad – Top your salad with a hearty scoop. The best part, you won’t even need dressing once it’s all mixed up. I have served it over many different types of greens but kale is my favorite.
- Appetizer – Chickpea salad can also be served as an appetizer along side of crackers, chips, cucumbers, bell peppers and more. It’s very tasty and more unique than a traditional dip.
How To Store:
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure to give it a good stir before serving again.
Other Quick Recipes:
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadilla
- Mexican Pita Pizza
- Creamy Vegan Spinach Pesto Pasta
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Vegan Chickpea Salad
- 1-15 oz. can chickpeas drained
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayo
- 1 ½ tbsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ cup diced pickles
- 3 tbsp. hulled sunflower seeds
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- sliced bread
- red onion
- In medium sized bowl mash your chickpeas well. Make sure you drain the chickpeas before mashing them. You do not want watery chickpea salad!
- Add mayo & mustard and stir.
- Fold in pickles and sunflower seeds.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Stir until incorporates.
- Top your bread slice with a heaping scoop of chickpea salad, top with tomatoes, red onion and lettuce. You can add avocado too for an extra special treat!
- I prefer pickles in mine as I am not really a relish girl. However, if you want to relish it up I would recommend about 2-3 tbsp. of relish in this recipe.
- If you want to keep this oil free you can replace the vegan mayo with smashed avocado.