This easy Vegan Chickpea Salad is perfect for sandwiches and comes together with less than 10 ingredients in 5 minutes. A quick go to lunch!
I love a good Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich. For one it requires minimal ingredients and is not only easy but quick to make. It also happens to be a very budget friendly dish!
Growing up I hated tuna salad, I was never much of a fish person even when I wasn’t vegan. I would put pounds of mustard in my tuna salad just to make it bearable. The only reason I ate it as a teen was I thought I was “dieting”.
Little did I know it wasn’t even a health food. Now, I just eat chickpea salad and I love it! No fishy taste is a win for me.
How To Make Vegan Chickpea Salad:
To get started if you are using canned chickpeas rinse and drain them. Place them into a medium sized bowl and use a fork or potato masher to mash the chickpeas.
Add all of your other ingredients and mix. It’s really as easy as that!
- Chickpeas – When using canned chickpeas I generally look for low sodium or no salt added options.
- Vegan Mayo – You could substitute this with mashed avocado for an oil-free option. Otherwise any brand will work.
- Dijon Mustard – You could use yellow if you don’t have Dijon but I prefer the flavor of Dijon.
- Pickles – If you like relish you could also add relish instead of pickles. Whatever brand and type you prefer will work.
- Sunflower Seeds – They add a nice crunchiness.
- Lemon – This adds a brightness in flavor that I love!
- Fixings – I like to serve mine on a seedy bread with lettuce, tomato and red onion.
Other Quick Recipes:
Vegan Chickpea Salad
- 1-15 oz. can chickpeas drained
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayo
- 1 ½ tbsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ cup diced pickles
- 3 tbsp. hulled sunflower seeds
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- sliced bread
- red onion
- In medium sized bowl mash your chickpeas well. Make sure you drain the chickpeas before mashing them. You do not want watery chickpea salad!
- Add mayo & mustard and stir.
- Fold in pickles and sunflower seeds.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Stir until incorporates.
- Top your bread slice with a heaping scoop of chickpea salad, top with tomatoes, red onion and lettuce. You can add avocado too for an extra special treat!
- I prefer pickles in mine as I am not really a relish girl. However, if you want to relish it up I would recommend about 2-3 tbsp. of relish in this recipe.
- If you want to keep this oil free you can replace the vegan mayo with smashed avocado.