These savory Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes are made with whole food ingredients and perfectly seasoned. A delicious and easy plant based meal the entire family will love!
Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes are a comforting and savory dish. They come together in a little over 30 minutes making them the perfect anytime meal. This is one of my favorite meals to make and I do so on a weekly or biweekly basis!
There is just something about a Sloppy Joe that makes me think of childhood. It was a meal we would have not too often but when we did I loved it. My entire family did actually, usually we were all scrambling to get as much as we could before it was gone!
When you grow up with 6 siblings I can tell you that you better be the first one at that table or you might not get dinner. Especially when you have 3 brothers in the mix!
Now this veganized version uses lentils as a meat substitute. It is not an exact match for the traditional recipe but the flavor is all sloppy joe. You are going to love it!
- Lentils – Green lentils are my favorite and work well with this recipe.
- Vegetable Broth – Whatever brand you prefer works, I usually go with a low sodium option.
- Tomato Paste – If you don’t use this ingredient often I recommend buying the kind in the tube as it keeps in the fridge longer.
- Tomato Sauce – I look for low sodium options with this ingredient as well.
- Onion – Yellow are my favorite but white will work as well.
- Bell Pepper & Zucchini – These are mostly just to add some extra veg to this dish. You could also use something like squash and carrots.
- Garlic – Use fresh and mince it up fine or use a garlic press.
- Spices – If you want that classic sloppy joe flavor don’t skimp out on these. If you don’t have dried mustard Dijon would be a good replacement.
- Bun – I’ve had this on a soft bun or toasted. I have even eaten this with a piece of toast it is all good!
Other Dinner Recipes:
Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1-15 oz. can tomato sauce
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ½ bell pepper diced
- ½ zucchini diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- roll or bun of choice
- Dice up all veggies: onion, bell pepper, zucchini and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add onion and a splash of water. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add garlic cook until garlic is fragrant and soft.
- Add zucchini and bell pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and vegetable broth and incorporate together.
- Add chili powder, cumin, mustard, coconut sugar, salt and pepper and stir until incorporated.
- Lower heat and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and most of the liquid has absorbed.
- Serve on a toasted roll or bun.
- You can substitute coconut sugar for brown sugar if you do not have any coconut sugar on hand.
- If you do not have any buns on hand I have enjoyed this dish with toasted sliced bread as well and it is just as tasty!