This easy and family friendly vegan dinner comes together in just 15 minutes! Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadilla are tasty, easy to make and the perfect quick week night meal.
Sweet Potatoes are seriously so tasty! I love anything with them. A Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadilla is usually my go to quick and easy dinner. Especially when I am looking for something comforting with a healthier twist.
Packed with black beans and fajita style veggies this is a loaded quesadilla! It requires just 15 minutes to come together and the sweet potato adds a creamy cheese like texture to holds it all together.
As a kid we would have Quesadillas for dinner and it was one of my favorite meals. I am sure my mom loved how quick an easier they were too. Now back then they were filled with cheese and chicken. So not the healthiest meal.
Now I like to keep things vegan and a little lighter. This recipe still uses vegan butter to get that classic crispy texture on the outside. The inside however is all whole foods plant based!
A perfect weeknight meal that the entire family will love even those picky kiddos. Serve it with a side of guacamole and salsa and dinner is done
- Tortillas – I love to buy the tortillas that you have to cook. They sell them at Costco and they are so much better.
- Vegan Butter – Whatever brand you prefer will work. I generally have Country Crock’s Plant Butter on hand. You could make these oil free however they won’t be as crispy.
- Sweet Potato – I generally microwave mine on the potato setting but if you prefer to bake yours you can do so.
- Black Beans – To keep this meal quick and easy I recommend using canned black beans just look for a low sodium or no salt added option.
- Bell Pepper & Onion – I generally use Yellow Onion and Red or Orange Bell Pepper.
- Zucchini – You could also use squash.
- Spinach – I use baby spinach but regular fresh spinach will work.
- Spices – These will help to season your veggies up fajita style.
- Water – I try to cook veggies with water where I can. If you prefer to use oil I would recommend about 2 tbsp. Olive Oil.
Other Quick & Easy Dinners:
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadilla
- 2 tortillas
- 2 tsp. vegan butter
- 1 sweet potato baked or microwaved
- 1 cup whole cooked black beans
- ½ bell pepper sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- ½ small zucchini diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup water
- Place sweet potato into oven or microwave until tender.
- Cut up veggies. Slice bell pepper and onion into thin strips like you would for fajitas and dice zucchini.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add onion and bell pepper and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add zucchini and stir.
- Add chili, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add half of your water and stir.
- Add spinach and additional water and stir.
- Cook until veggies are tender and spinach is wilted and set aside.
- Warm up black beans. You can either use canned or dry beans you have cooked previously.
- Take baked sweet potato and mash.
- Butter tortilla on one side.
- Assemble quesadilla with mashed sweet potato, black beans and veggie mixture.
- Fold in half and place in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook on each side about 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with guacamole or avocado, lime and your favorite salsa.
- You can mix up the veggies you use for this dish as well. I have added things like mushrooms or squash, all versions have been delicious!