30 minutes is all you need to make this flavor packed Vegan Tortilla Soup. It is easy to make, gluten-free, hearty and healthy!
Vegan Tortilla Soup is a flavorful 30 minute lunch or dinner that is not only easy to make but a nutritious dish as well.
It’s perfect for those busy weeknights where you just don’t have a ton of time to cook dinner. This soup is also made with whole food ingredients and is very budget friendly!
I love a good soup. I most definitely am the type to order a salad and soup combo for lunch. It’s cozy and filling and the perfect meal in my eyes.
My favorite would definitely have to be tomato but tortilla soup is a close second. I prefer mine topped with a squeeze of fresh lime, avocado, cilantro and of course tortilla chips. I mean can you have tortilla soup without them?
This soup is easy to make and will be a family favorite in no time!
- Vegetable Broth – I generally look for a low sodium option.
- Diced Tomatoes – You can also use crushed tomatoes.
- Black Beans – I recommend draining and washing your beans before use this helps to aide in digestion.
- Tomato Paste – I buy the tube as it keeps in the refrigerator longer.
- Onion – I think yellow works best for recipe although white onion will work as well.
- Bell Pepper – Red is my favorite look for the deepest red color for optimal flavor.
- Zucchini– You could also use squash.
- Jalapeño – Make sure to take the seeds out unless you want a very very spicy soup.
- Spices – These will add that classic tortilla soup flavor.
- Lime – Roll fresh citrus back and forth on the counter to release the juice. It will make it easier to squeeze.
- Cilantro – This adds an herby freshness to your dish.
- Toppings – Extra cilantro, lime, avocado and tortilla chips are my go to.
Other Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Quesadilla
- Creamy Vegan Spinach Pesto Pasta
- Mexican Pita Pizza
- Mushroom Marsala with Orzo and Spinach
If you try this recipe make sure to let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and if you take a photo use #feeninforgreens on instagram. I love seeing photos of your recreations!
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 1-32 oz. container vegetable broth
- 1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1-15 oz. can whole black beans
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ½ bell pepper diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ½ lime juiced
- large handful cilantro chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- tortilla chips
- Dice onion, bell pepper, zucchini, jalapeño, and mince garlic.
- While you are dicing up your veggies place a large pot over medium heat.
- Place onion, garlic and jalapeño into the pot and cook until soft and fragrant. Add about 2-3 tbsp. of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add veggie broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Stir together and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, bell pepper and black beans.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for an additional 10 minutes until flavors have come together and zucchini is soft.
- Add lime juice and cilantro and stir together.
- Serve topped with avocado, more cilantro, tortilla chips and a squeeze of lime.
- This soup does have a nice kick to it but I do not like things too spicy. If you feen for the heat add the entire jalapeño to spice things up even more!
- You can use olive oil to cook your onion and garlic if you prefer. I don't always cook oil free but like to try to when I can. I would recommend about 2 tbsp. if you decide to use oil.