Chickpea and Aubergine Curry
This tasty Chickpea and Aubergine Curry comes together in just 30 minutes. The chickpeas and vegetables are simmered in a blend of perfectly balanced spices with coconut milk and served over a bed of jasmine rice. This recipe is vegan, gluten-fee, soy-free and nut-free.
- 1-15.5 oz. can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1-13.5 oz. can full fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Aubergine (aka Eggplant)
- 1 ½ cup fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger (or ¼ tsp. ground ginger)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ lime juiced
- avocado slices
- lime slices
- jasmine rice
Prepare your veggies. Dice your onion, mince your garlic, grate ginger and dice aubergine.
Into a large skillet add your olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
Now add the spices: curry powder, salt, paprika, cumin, coriander, pepper and ginger. Cook spices for one minute stirring continuously.
Next add coconut milk, lime juice, crushed tomatoes and chickpeas and stir to incorporate together.
Add your aubergine and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. While your curry is simmering you can prepare your toppings and rice.
Next add spinach to the pan and simmer until wilted.
Serve over rice topped with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime.
- I think full fat coconut milk taste best however I have used lite (light) and it does still work great.
- I generally make this curry without any added heat. You can add cayenne or fresh red pepper to spice this dish up. If you decide to use fresh pepper I would add it when you cook your garlic and onion. If you use cayenne you can add it in with the rest of the spices.
- Depending on where you shop the ounces in your coconut milk, chickpea and tomato cans may vary slightly. You just want them to all be about the same volume.
Calories: 291kcalCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 8gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 629mgPotassium: 756mgFiber: 8gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 1004IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 102mgIron: 6mg
Tag @feeninforgreens and use #feeninforgreens