Vegan Twix Bars
These homemade Vegan Twix Bars are a healthier twist on the classic candy bar and dare I say better tasting! With a buttery shortbread crust, coconut cream and date caramel and chocolate layer to seal the deal, these are sure to be a hit amongst vegans and non vegans alike!
- 1 cup of pitted dates packed
- ⅔ cup coconut cream
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick of softened vegan butter (1/2 cup)
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips melted
Preheat your oven to 350°F degrees and grease or line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
In a medium sized bowl mix your flour, powdered sugar and salt.
Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork. Mix until all the butter is incorporated.
Press the crust mixture into the pan and bake for 10-13 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Allow the crust to completely cool before adding your filling mixture.
While your crust is baking add your pitted dates to the food processor. Open your can of coconut cream and stir well. Add ⅔ cup to the food processor and process until creamy and you can no longer detect date chunks. Scape down the sides as needed during this process.
Once the crust is completely cooled spread your coconut and date mixture onto the crust in an even layer.
Take your chocolate and put it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring after each 30 seconds until completely melted.
Evenly spread your chocolate layer onto the coconut and date caramel mixture.
Allow the chocolate to set completely. You can do this at room temperature or place the bars into the refrigerator. I have found this takes about 20-30 minutes.
Once your chocolate has set cut the bars into three rows horizontally and three rows vertically this will give you 9 large bars. If you placed the bars in the refrigerator you can expect the chocolate to crack and trust me it adds to the deliciousness.
- Depending on your can of coconut cream the top layer may be very thick and separated you can simply scoop this out and measure 2/3 cup to use or try to mix it in until well incorporated. If you only use the top thick layer it will add an even creamier and delicious texture to the caramel layer.
- These can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer. When ready to eat place them at room temperature to thaw or eat them frozen. No judgment here!
- If you do not want to use vegan butter you could also use coconut oil for the shortbread crust.
- Total time does not include cooling time for the bars to set.
Calories: 244kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 3gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 2mgPotassium: 186mgFiber: 3gSugar: 21gVitamin A: 24IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 34mgIron: 2mg
Tag @feeninforgreens and use #feeninforgreens